Me and Sarah went to the D&AD North lecture on Wednesday evening and I cannot put into words just how amazed I was at the work they had produced. Seriously though if there is anyone who pushes boundaries its GBH.
They went through 12 of their projects talking about the ideas behind them. With clients like Eurostar, Puma, Virgin Galactic and Royal Mail the guys at GBH are doing pretty well. Some of the projects that stood out for me were Puma + Eurostar. For a interior at a Puma store they had filmed a puma on green screen and then it projected onto the wall as if it was walking across the sheleves - genius. Something similar to this was the self service bar in the Eurostar lounge - which they helped to design along with Philippe Starck - they had a film of a bartender working behind the bar just cleaning glasses and shaking cocktails. Their branding and interior design for 'budget' hotels Yotels was pretty amazing too. Each room has a iMac so they used the photobooth application to allow people to take photos which were then showed in the main foyer of the hotel.
These are just a few of the ideas that I thought were amazing - the rest are in my notes so if you can read my writing you'll get the idea, if not it's better to check out their website.
After the lecture it made me realise just how much graphic design can be pushed and that when I think I've resolved an idea I haven't even really scratched the surface. It's given me a insight into how graphic design can be applied and just how far you can push a client. I'd love to go visit the guys at GBH sometime in the future and I'll be keeping an eye on their up and coming projects.
Below are some example of their work from their youtube channel.


No comments:
Post a Comment